Things that dismay me about the higher education funding proposals
- The notion that the only beneficiary of education is the student.
- The notion that the only benefit of education is increased earning potential.
- The idea that, in the middle of a debt-fuelled financial disaster, we should encouraging our students into a culture of debt.
- The suggestion that charging higher fees will introduce healthy competition into the sector, as if it weren’t already highly competitive.
- The fact that these proposals are an extension of Labour’s policies, and there isn’t an ideological rizla paper between any of the three parties.
So yes, I support the student demonstrators.